Senior Management Group
Positions designated as Senior Management provide leadership requiring the exercise of a high degree of independent judgment in the development of University wide or campus wide policy and program direction and accountability for long-term results.
The President, as executive head of the University, has responsibility for the policies and programs governing the terms and conditions of employment for staff members who hold senior management positions, except for certain actions which are reserved to the Regents and Principal Officers of the Regents as set forth in the Bylaws and Standing Orders of the Regents, and except as delegated by the President to Chancellors, Laboratory Director, and the Executive Vice President—Business Operations.
Senior Leadership Compensation Group
The Senior Leadership Compensation Group (SLCG) includes all employees in the Senior Management Group (SMG) program and all Management & Senior Professional (MSP) employees whose total potential cash compensation is at or exceeds the Indexed Compensation Level (ICL) of $323,700 annually.
Annual Report on Executive Compensation
We are obligated to present an Annual Report on Executive Compensation (AREC) to the Legislature and to the public on the compensation of the University of California’s senior managers. Effective September 1, 2019, the current reporting threshold of total potential cash compensation is $323,700 per annum.
View the reportable population.
- All employees in a named position (according to direction from State Legislators) regardless of total potential compensation
- All Officers of the Regents regardless of total potential compensation
- All employees in a Senior Management Group (SMG) position regardless of total potential compensation
- All employees in administrative/staff Managers and Senior Professionals (MSP) positions with total potential compensation over $323,700
- All other non-academic, non-represented employees whose total potential cash compensation is greater than $323,700
- Staff Physicians
- Coaches and Athlectic Directors if potential annual cash compensation is greater than the reporting threshold
- The population includes those in both permanent and acting positions as identified above
- Total potential compensation for part-time individuals is determined based on their part-time rate rather than their full-time equivalent rate
The Index Compensation Approval Level (ICL) shall be indexed annually in accordance with the California Consumer Price Index. Effective September 1, 2019, the ICL is $323,700.
Outside Professional Activities
Senior Managers are required to report their outside professional activities on an annual basis. Only activities that are within the SMG member’s area of professional expertise and for which he/she is employed by the University are considered OPA. Activities outside an SMG member’s area of professional expertise and/or that are not pertinent to his/her University role are not considered OPA. Further, only activities that are beyond the responsibilities assigned to the SMG employee by the University (or by his/her supervisor) are considered OPA.
Total Cash Compensation
Total Cash Compensation is calculated based on the fiscal year. Categories of cash compensation are included in determining the Indexed Compensation Level (ICL).
Categories of cash compensation to be included in determing the ICL
Annualized base salary (If the employee has a UC appointment at less than 100 percent with no other appointments at UC, the total compensation at that appointment rate will be used and not the conversion to derive a “full-time equivalent” amount, e.g., at 100 percent)
- Maximum incentive plan payout potential (including Z component of HSCP, CEMRP, etc.)
- The amount of Relocation Allowance scheduled for payment in the year of the proposed action. Please do not include the full amount if paid in installments over time.
- Annualized stipend
- Auto allowance
- Senior Management Supplemental Benefit
- Other cash compensation
- Any other Health Science Compensation Program pay (HSCP-X and Y components)
- Educational expense reimbursements or allowances
Categories not to be included in the calculation of total cash compensation
- Reimbursements for such items as moving expenses, house-hunting trips
- Temporary housing
- Corporate board service
- Eligibility to participate in the UC Home Loan Program(s)
- Compensation received for outside professional activities (OPA)
- Payment in lieu of sabbatical leave
- Payment in lieu of vacation leave
- Administrative fund allocation
- Corporate board service (OPA approval requirements continue to apply)
- General SRDP bonus potential