COVID-19 Response from UC Health Plans
Your health care providers want to keep you informed. Please take the time now to access your health care provider website (log in or register to create an account) and provide your e-mail address and phone numbers to your respective medical plans. This way your plan can help you to stay current with information relating to the COVID-19 pandemic and the medical services available to you. Keeping members informed in a timely manner about health-related news is important. You are encouraged to visit your respective plan website and if you have not already done so, click Register on the Member Portal to set up an account. To access your medical plan and their website, please visit UCnet - Medical plans.
The following information highlights what UC participating medical providers offer for care and services for employees and retirees affected by the COVID-19 pandemic*.
- UCR Face Covering While Indoors (7.28.21)
- UCR Vaccination Policy (7.27.21)
- UC Vaccination Policy has gone into effect (July 16. 2021)
- All UCR employees now eligible for COVID-19 vaccine
- University of California Executive Order - published November 17, 2020
UC Health Plan - COVID-19 Updates (*as of July 20, 2021)
COVID-19 Response from UC Health Plans Update
Update - July 20, 2021
We are providing a Medical Plan Response to COVID-19 as of July 20, 2021 from each of the UC health plan providers in relation to COVID-19 plan services.
The medical plan response summarizes the latest information from Anthem, Health Net and Kaiser Permanente regarding the waiver of cost-sharing for services related to COVID-19 – all changes are highlighted in yellow.
Plan members may visit their plan website for more information.
Anthem Blue Cross
- Standard cost sharing will apply for positive COVID-19 admissions beginning on or after August 1, 2021.
Anthem Blue Cross
Anthem Blue Cross
The UCppoplans.com website remains the central source of information for the plans administered by Anthem. All benefits updates are posted there. Here are the direct links to the six medical plans:
- UC Care: https://www.ucppoplans.com/ucc/covid-19
- UC Health Savings Plan: https://www.ucppoplans.com/hsp/covid-19
- CORE: https://www.ucppoplans.com/co/covid-19
- UC Medicare PPO: https://www.ucppoplans.com/medrx/covid-19
- UC Medicare PPO with no Rx: https://www.ucppoplans.com/mednorx/covid-19
- UC High Option Supplement to Medicare: https://www.ucppoplans.com/high/covid-19
Anthem continues to waive cost share for screening and testing related to COVID-19. However, related treatment will be subject to cost-sharing similar to non-COVID-19 conditions.
HealthEquity (Health Savings Account)
HealthEquity’s microsite for UC members is now updated to show information from the CARES Act.
Health Net / Managed Health Network
Health Net continues to waive cost share for screening and testing related to COVID-19. However, related treatment will be subject to cost-sharing similar to non-COVID-19 conditions.
Health Net will reinstate the $20 copay for all medical and behavioral telehealth visits on June 1, 2021. Health Net waived copays for medical and behavioral telehealth visits obtained through their participating providers in response to the COVID-19 state of emergency.
Member cost share for Babylon telehealth visits will remain at $0 copay.
Member cost-share for COVID-19 testing and screening will also continue at $0 copay.
For more information, please review the following resources:
Kaiser continues to waive cost share for screening and testing. Additionally, cost-sharing for related treatment will be waived through May 31, 2020.
Optum Behavioral Health
No new information this week.
UnitedHealthcare (UC Medicare Choice)
Cost sharing for treatment will be waived through May 31, 2020. They will continue to waive cost share for screening and testing as well.
Virtual Visits Easily Accessible Via Member Site
On April 9, 2020, a new visual queue was added to the UHCRetiree.com member site so when members log in, they are made aware of, and can take action to have the option of a virtual visit for their care.
As we mentioned in our last e-mail, starting March 31, 2020, until June 18, 2020, UnitedHealthcare will waive cost sharing for in-network, non-COVID-19 telehealth visits for its Medicare Advantage, Medicaid and fully-insured Individual and Group market health plans (for plans not already covering virtual visits at 100% in-network and out-of-network). The company previously announced the waiving of cost sharing for telehealth visits related to COVID-19 testing, in addition to the waiving of cost sharing for 24/7 Virtual Visits with preferred telehealth partners.
Fitness moves at home through SilverSneakers
SilverSneakers On-Demand provides instructions for accessing on-demand fitness classes.
UnitedHealth Group Accelerates Nearly $2 Billion in Payments and Support to Health Care Providers to Help with COVID-19 Financial Challenges
UnitedHealth Group, through UnitedHealthcare and Optum, has announced it is taking steps immediately to accelerate payments and other financial support to health care providers in the U.S. to help address the short-term financial pressure caused by the COVID-19 emergency. UnitedHealth Group’s move to accelerate claim payments to medical and behavioral care providers applies to UnitedHealthcare’s fully insured commercial, Medicare Advantage (UC Medicare Choice) and Medicaid businesses.
Frequently Asked Questions
For answers to questions about UnitedHealthcare policy updates, please refer to their COVID-19 Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs).
Via Benefits (Health Reimbursement Accounts/Medicare Coordinator Program)
As the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) continues to spread globally, Willis Towers Watson (WTW) is continuing to monitor new developments with an impact on the Medicare Coordinator Program benefits administration.
The CARES Act includes important provisions for users of Health Reimbursement Arrangements (HRAs), specifically:
- Over-the-counter (OTC) drugs and medications not prescribed by a physician can now be reimbursed pre-tax. Menstrual care products are also now considered eligible expenses. The changes to eligible expenses are retroactive to January 1, 2020.
The HRA that accompanies the Medicare Coordinator Plan is now being administered consistent with these changes to approve all OTC medications. High level information will be provided to participants in their Spring Newsletter, sent via e-mail in late May/early June 2020.
This information is now posted on Via Benefits microsite for UC.
Simply direct members to their plan website or they can call the number(s) on the back of their ID card.
The COVID-19 situation continues to evolve quickly. Members should go to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention for the latest information on COVID-19, including how to protect themselves and what to do if they are sick. If a member believes they have been exposed to COVID-19 or have symptoms such as fever, cough or difficulty breathing, they should contact their health care provider right away. Only health care providers can order a COVID-19 test.
From the Health & Welfare Medical Team:
In an environment where changes are taking place so quickly, we want to ensure that the latest news is shared as soon as it is received. Our hope is that you find these updates helpful and will continue sharing information in this format.
COVID-19 - Health Plan Communications
- New! UC COVID-19 Vaccine Policy
- Continuing Benefits During COVID-19-Related Leaves and Disability Policy Change August 1, 2020
- COVID-19 – Response from UC Health Plans as of 4/09/20 - April 13, 2020
- CARES Act impact on Retirement Savings Program - MRDs, withdrawals and loans - April 15, 2020
- Wage Works: Important information about your FSA in response to COVID-19 - April 10, 2020
- COVID-19 – Response from UC Health Plans as of 3/23/2020 - April 1, 2020
- Update to Changes to Flexible Spending Accounts due to COVID-19 - March 31, 2020
- Fidelity Investments Retirement and Financial Planning Consultations Availability - March 23, 2020
- Health Plan’s Response to COVID-19 - March 12, 2020