University of California, Riverside

Human Resources

Moving Expense and Relocation Allowance

Staff Positions

On occasion, the University provides reimbursements for certain moving expenses, depending on the situation (e.g., promotion), the employee's position, and availability of funding. Also, the University may, on occasion, provide reimbursement for approved relocation expenses, depending on the situation, the employee's position, and availability of funding (refer to UCR Policies and Procedures, policy number 650-32).

Effective January 1, 2018, the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (P.L. 115-97) impacts the taxability of moving expense reimbursements provided by the University. Reimbursements for moving expenses made to employees or paid directly to third parties by the University are subject to withholding of federal income, social security, and Medicare taxes. Such amounts are tax coded for reporting on employee's W-2 for moving expense payments through December 31, 2025 under I.R.C. Sections 217(k) and 132(g)(2). For more information, view the Policy and Regulations Governing Moving and Relocation (Policy G-13) and Travel Regulations (Policy G-28).


Moving Expense Reimbursement


Moving expenses include the reasonable costs of moving household goods and personal effects to a new residence. These expenses also include the cost of travel to the new location for the eligible appointee/ employee and members of the household.

Business & Finance Bulletin G-13 should be referred to for determining moving expenses that are allowable and eligible for reimbursement.  Reimbursements can vary depending on the situation, the employee's position, and availability of funding.



New staff and Transferring Staff must meet the below criteria in order to be eligible for a moving expense reimbursement. Business & Finance Bulletin G-13 should be reviewed for a comprehensive understanding of eligibility requirements.

New staff: The new appointee must have been hired for a non-academic position that requires specialized training or experience of a technical, professional, or administrative nature. The new appointee must reside 50 miles outside of the newly appointed job location in which he or she is moving.

Transferring staff: Current UC employee who is required to transfer or accepts a position, including a position at the same or lower grade, at a campus outside a reasonable commuting distance of 50 miles.

  • Requires reviewing of special policy of inter-campus transfer.

Showing active status in the payroll system prior to reimbursement of moving expenses.


Step 1: Inform

  • Ensure that they are advised by the hiring department on UC Policy BFB-G-13 and the UCR policy and procedure on Moving and Relocation Expenses 650-32
  • Do not allow employee to enter into a contract with a non-UCR carrier. Inform the employee about contracted household good carriers

Step 2: Make Travel Arrangements

  • The employee should work with the department to initiate travel plans and make arrangements for family
  • To initiate arrangement for moving items, the hiring department must initiate a purchasing requisition online. Prepare the purchase requisition at least 30 days prior to the move.
  • Contact Material Management to initiate moving process

Step 3: Reimbursement

  • Reimbursement of allowable travel costs will be made upon the submission of a Travel Expense Voucher by the employee to the department.
  • The department will submit a voucher(s) to Accounting for processing
  • The employee must maintain all receipts, including airline, lodging, car, meals, gifts more than $75, or miscellaneous expenses.

Accounting will process the voucher, approve of reimbursable costs, and charge the department the amount to be reimbursed to the employee

Repayment Provision

An employee who voluntarily separates from the position prior to completing one year of service and does not accept a position within the UC system within 12 months from the initial date of appointment, may be required to pay back 100% of the moving and relocation expenses.

Additional Notes


  • UCR prefers air travel over car travel. Car travel will only be permitted for health-related or extraneous circumstances.
  • The department may reimburse actual and reasonable storage costs for household goods and personal effects for up to 30 days immediately after removal from the primary residence.
  • The employee should directly contact the carrier for any questions regarding damaged or misplaced items that are not allowable expenses and file a claim
    • Note: the University does provide insurance for allowable moving expenses up to 3-4 dollars times the weight, but the employee must prove the value of that item and the damage should not be concealed damage incurred by the employee while packing.

Refer to UCR Local Procedure

650-32 for full procedures.

More Information

General Campus Information

University of California, Riverside
900 University Ave.
Riverside, CA 92521
Tel: (951) 827-1012

UCR LibrariesCampus Status
Career OpportunitiesDiversity
Visit UCRMaps and Directions

Department Information

Human Resources
1201 University Ave., Suite 208
Riverside, CA 92507

Tel: (951) 827-5588
Fax: (951) 827-2672