Equal Employment

The University of California, Riverside is an equal employment opportunity employer and complies with all equal employment laws and regulations enforced by the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing. Equal employment laws apply to all aspects of employment, including hiring, termination, promotions and terms and conditions of employment.

Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) laws prohibit discrimination and harassment in hiring and employment based on an individual's ancestry, age (40 and above), color, disability (physical and mental, including HIV and AIDS), genetic information, gender, gender identity or gender expression, marital status, medical condition (genetic characteristics, cancer or a record or history of cancer), military or veteran status, national origin (includes language use restrictions), race, religion (includes religious dress and grooming practices), sex (includes pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and/or related medical conditions), sexual orientation.

Equal Employment Opportunity laws also requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation for individuals with a physical or mental disability to apply for jobs and to perform the essential functions of their jobs unless doing so would impose an undue hardship on the operation of the employer's business. Employers must also reasonably accommodate applicants' and employees' sincerely held religious practices, unless doing so would impose an undue hardship on the operation of the employer's business.

These laws also makes it illegal to retaliate against a person because the person complained about discrimination, filed a charge of discrimination, or participated in an employment discrimination investigation or lawsuit.

The UCR Equal Employment and Affirmative Action department is responsible for ensuring compliance with equal employment opportunity laws. We do this through:

  • the creation and monitoring of policies and guidelines;
  • training and consultation; and
  • complaint resolution.

EEO Frequently Asked Questions

  • Can I file an anonymous complaint?

    EEAA will respond to anonymous EEO complaints of alleged discrimination or harassment, to the greatest extent possible. However, the response to such reports may be limited if information contained in the complaint cannot be verified by independent facts.

  • Can I be fired if I file a complaint?

    No. University policy prohibits retaliation for bringing a complaint of discrimination or harassment pursuant to the UC Discrimination, Harassment, and Affirmative Action in the Workplace policy. This policy also prohibits retaliation against a person who assists someone with a complaint of discrimination or harassment, or participates in any manner in an investigation or resolution of a complaint of discrimination or harassment. If retaliation should occur, please report it to EEAA immediately at (951) 827-5604 or

  • What options do I have if I want to file a discrimination/harassment complaint?

    UCR employees may initiate a complaint alleging discrimination and/or harassment based on one or more of the protected categories covered by University policy, through either their respective personnel program policies or collective bargaining unit grievance procedures, or through EEAA.

    Employees may also elect to file a discrimination/harassment complaint with a State or Federal agency. If you are interested in filing a complaint with an agency you will need to contact the agency directly to inquire about agency complaint filing procedures and your options and protections under state or federal law.

  • How do discrimination/harassment EEO Compliants get processed?

    If an employee is referred to or seeks assistance directly from EEAA, the complaint will be processed by using the UCR Procedures for Employment Related Discrimination, Harassment and Retaliation Complaint and Resolution. EEAA will attempt early resolution of the complaint as expeditiously and informally as possible. When appropriate, EEAA will conduct a full and impartial investigation to determine if University nondiscrimination employment policies have been violated. Upon the conclusion of the investigation, a report of findings is forwarded to the appropriate campus official for review and action, when warranted.

  • How confidential and private are these processes?

    The University shall protect the privacy of individuals involved in a report of Prohibited Conduct to the extent permitted by law and by university policy and procedures. However, it should be recognized that an investigation may involve interviews with a number of persons to inquire if they have relevant evidence, and extremely sensitive information may be gathered. While such information is considered confidential, university policy and procedure may also require the disclosure of certain information during or following an investigation.

  • What if I don't want to discuss my complaint or dispute with my supervisor?

    Employees are encouraged to try to resolve issues directly with their supervisors or within their department management. However, if you are uncomfortable discussing your discrimination or harassment complaint with your supervisor or department management, you may contact EEAA directly. There are also confidential resources on campus available to assist you (see the following question).

  • What resources are available if I want to speak with someone confidentially about my discrimination, harassment or retaliation concerns?

    Confidential resources are available for individuals who wish to have a confidential discussion about an issue involving discrimination, harassment or retaliation without an official response from the university. These offices provide a safe place to discuss concerns and learn about the procedures and potential outcomes while remaining anonymous. Discussion with these confidential offices are not considered reports under this policy and will not result in any actions by the university to resolve the concerns.

    The following are confidential resources:

  • How do I file an EEO complaint?

    If you feel that you have suffered employment related discrimination, harassment or retaliation by your supervisor, co-worker(s), or anyone in the workplace, based on any of the protected bases, please complete each field of the Employment Related Discrimination, Harassment and Retaliation Complaint Form and submit the form via email, mail or in person to Equal Employment and Affirmative Action (EEAA).

    More detailed instruction, including definitions, can be found in the Complaint Form Instructions.  Reports should be brought as soon as possible, optimally within a year, after the alleged conduct occurs.

    Please submit completed form via email, mail, or in person to:
    UCR Equal Employment and Affirmative Action
    Sky Hall | Room 349 | 900 University Avenue
    Riverside, CA 92521

    • Reports may also be made to EEAA:
    • By calling the EEAA department at (951) 827-7070
    • By emailing the EEAA department at
    • In person by visiting the EEAA department located at: Sky Hall | Room 349