Diversity and Inclusion
In conjunction with the University of California Riverside’s (UCR) 2020 Path To Preeminence vision to become a preeminent research university that epitomizes excellence in all that we do. The Department of Equal Employment and Affirmative Action remains dedicated to contributing to the advancing and communicating of knowledge through:
- Research and creative activity;
- Developing and inspiring the leaders for tomorrow's world;
- Transforming communities both locally and globally;
- Demonstrating that diversity is both a measure of excellence and a means of achieving it.
Henceforth, under Regents Policy 4400: Policy on University of California Diversity Statement (amended 2010), The Department of Equal Employment and Affirmative Action has stayed committed to UCR’s full realization of its historic promise to recognize and nurture merit, talent, and achievement by supporting diversity and equal opportunity in its education, services, and administration, as well as research and creative activity through:
- The implementation of a monthly Diversity Calendar, which reflects the observations celebrated by our campus’s various cultures and populations.
- Our six-month long diversity education certificate course "Making Excellence Inclusive,” which guides participants through a series of learning activities all designed to make the subject matter "come to life." The program is developed around the belief that individuals learn most effectively when they discover, understand, and apply their new knowledge to the real world situations they face in the university environment.
- There is also an array of online and classroom equal and diversity trainings available for staff and faculty.
Definition - Diversity & Inclusion
|The range of human and individual differences (e.g., personality, learning styles, and life experiences) and group/social differences (e.g., race/ethnicity, class, gender, sexual orientation, country of origin, physical or cognitive abilities, as well as cultural, political, religious, or other affiliations) that can be engaged in the service of learning.|
|The active, intentional, and ongoing engagement and empowerment in which the inherent worth and dignity of each individual is recognized. An inclusive university promotes and sustains a sense of belonging; it values and practices respect for the talents, beliefs, backgrounds, and lives of its members.|
Diversity & Inclusion Pledge
UC is committed to providing a safe, supportive, responsive and equitable environment. In line with our Principles of Community, we as members of the University of California, Riverside affirm our responsibility and commitment to creating and fostering a respectful community, were we take pride in the diversity of the campus community and in ourselves by using the campus environment as a place, committed to academic integrity, where all members are encouraged to use their unique talents to enrich the daily life of the community in which they live, work, teach and learn. Respect for differences and civil discourse must become the hallmark of how we live and work together to build our community of learners at UCR.